For the past few weeks, who am I kidding – since Christmas, I’ve been enjoying a vast array of warming, comforting home cooked food.
I don’t know about you but when the weather gets cold, I opt for meals that involve things like melted cheese, creamy sauce and pastry.
A couple of weeks ago there was only one thing I wanted for dinner.
Chicken broccoli bake.
This is no regular, perhaps slightly disappointing oven-baked sloppy goop, but a recipe that my sister first cooked back in the day, when we lived under the same roof and was a hit.
I hadn’t had it for years until the coldest day in a long time, when I decided that Mr T and I would most certainly be eating this for our dinner that night.
I was reminded again of how much I like this and was inspired to share it with you. I have no accounting for your taste of course so you might hate it.
- Calories: Who cares
- Serves: 4-6
- Prep time: 30mins (ish)
- Cooking time: 40mins
- Oven temp: 160
What you need
- Chicken breasts (1 per person)
- 1 whole broccoli cut into florets or 1 pack of frozen florets
- 1 can Campbells condensed mushroom or chicken soup
- 5oz mayonnaise
- 4oz evaporated milk
- 4oz grated cheddar cheese
- 1tbs lemon juice
- 1tsp curry powder
- Breadcrumbs (recipe says buttered but I would say that’s optional) you can buy breadcrumbs you know – who’d have thought it!
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks and cook.
- While the chicken is cooking combine the mayonnaise, evaporated milk, cheese, lemon juice, soup and curry powder together in a bowl.
- Once the chicken is cooked through, place it in an oven proof dish with the broccoli florets. (If you are using frozen broccoli par boil it for a couple of minutes first)
- Now put your combined mixture (that you did while the chicken was cooking) on top of the chicken and broccoli.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top and cook for 40 minutes at 160 degrees.
- When it’s hot all the way through, eat it.
- If you can be bothered, serve with a green salad and/or rice/pasta.
NOTE: When I made ours I did not have condensed soup, I just used a regular mushroom soup. It would have been MUCH nicer if I’d have used condensed stuff as it’s thicker and makes it all that much nicer and tastier if you ask me.